2022-06-12

Longing (Saudades)

 [Translated by / Traduzido Por]: Felipe Lohan Pinheiro da Silva

By Casimiro de Abreu

İn the Dead of the Night,
The meditation is so sweet,
When the stars shine,
Among the quiet waves of the sea;
When the Majestic Moon,
Appearing beautiful and well-shaped,
Like when a well-dressed lady,
¡ Looks at her own reflection in the water surface!

On these hours of silence,
Of sadness and love,
İ like to hear from far away,
While feeling a powerful grudge and sorrow,
The bell in the steeple,
That makes that sound in the solitude,
That death-impregnated sound,
That frighten us.

So – Exiled and alone -
My voice echoes from the hill,
The sighs from my homesick,
That’s in my heart,
These tears of bitterness,
Are tears of powerful sorrow:
- İ miss – my love affairs,
- ¡ İ miss – my homeland!